Originally touted as a way for aspiring entrepreneurs to dip their toes into the retail waters, kiosks have become a common sight to shoppers in malls across America. An impressive number of retail rookies have parlayed one single kiosk into a fleet of locations. But you don’t have to be a newcomer or entertain grand visions to create a thriving and successful mall kiosk. Success comes from hard work and understanding the secrets of mall shopper behavior. These tips will give you a head start on designing a successful mall kiosk.
Success is a game of numbers.
In a typical mall, hundreds (perhaps thousands, depending on the season) of shoppers will pass your kiosk every hour. Studies show 20% of them will notice a kiosk, 15% of that group will stop and browse, and about a quarter of them will buy something. That means out of 500 people who pass by, you might expect three or four sales.
Clearly, capturing attention from more shoppers can exponentially increase your sales and profitability.
Make your kiosk interesting, colorful, and interactive.
Experts say your kiosk must be recognizable from at least 40 feet away, in both directions. Here’s how you can attract maximum attention and sales:
- If your products are small, use photo posters to show them off.
- Notice whether mall traffic is heavier on one side of your kiosk. If so, arrange your displays accordingly.
- Tiered displays that offer products at varying heights sell best, because products are more accessible.
- Keep displays well-stocked, for maximum visual impact, and because a full display appears more credible to prospective shoppers.
- Rearrange displays frequently enough to look “new” to regular mall shoppers. Try featuring different products.
- Don’t try to cram too much merchandise into your small space. The effect will be off-putting, because it will confuse potential customers.
- Movement is eye-catching and engaging. Using a video loop that explains or demonstrates your products provides a comfort zone for shoppers not quite ready for personal interaction, and it’s like having another salesperson in attendance.
But let’s back up a minute. A successful mall kiosk starts with choosing the right product.
You want something different. Something that will be tempting. Something that will be profitable. Do your homework, then find a reliable supplier who will give you a good price.
Be friendly, not pushy.
It’s tougher to engage people passing by than in-store shoppers, but you’ll scare them off if you’re too aggressive. It’s essential to hire friendly, warm employees and make sure they are well-trained – knowledgeable about your products and also about working with your type of customers. Don’t skimp on this investment, because studies show that having the right salesperson can skyrocket kiosk customer conversions from less than 10% to more than 40%.
Don’t forget the marketing.
A successful mall kiosk doesn’t depend solely on existing traffic and the mall management’s advertising to draw customers. You have to promote your kiosk business just as you would a brick-and-mortar location, smartly coordinating online and offline techniques.
Palmer Retail Solutions strives to offer our clients the absolute best combination of innovation, quality, service, and value for our diversified custom store fixtures and merchandising displays. For more information about our designs, retail fixtures, cash wraps, kiosks, or point of purchase displays, visit our website at: http://www.palmerretailsolutions.com.